This blog was established for fun, you know, to keep people updated with our fun adventures and with Oliver's every day moments. That's pretty much what I've kept it to. This time, I will enlighten you, or maybe just bore you since pictures won't be involved, on the recent musings I've had regarding education.
I feel a myriad of emotions concerning the education route Chad and I will pick for Oliver and our future children. Recently, in a small group session I'm involved in, we spoke about homeschooling. I've always written this off for my children for several reasons. First, I'm not a teacher, at least not in the elementary terms. Second (excuse my vanity, here), I rather look forward to the time when my children are in school and I can have some "me" time again. Third, it used to be weird. Granted, it's not weird anymore, but it USED to be, you know, when I was growing up. I could, if I allowed myself, quickly dismiss all three points; however, I still just haven't quite figured out what I exactly feel on this matter, and furthermore, I'm not sure why these feelings are so heavy on my heart and prominent in my mind in the first place.
So, without further ado, let me share:
Curious: What is all this recent hype about homeschooling? Yes, it USED to be weird, but now it's this amazing network (at least in my town) of kids/parents getting together and being CREATIVE. I think these kids believe learning is fun. WHAT? Yes, learning is FUN!
Skeptical: It seems a lot of my friends are, or have been, teachers in the public school system. From what I've heard, it's a mess of paperwork, a lot of politics and a few short hours of curriculum. And, so you know I've got my facts straight, I've heard this from several (more than 5) unrelated sources, not just one random source lobbying against the school system. I understand, from a teacher's perspective, that at school such a short time is spent on learning, and at home, the WHOLE time is spent on learning. Hmm.
Scared: Please don't get me wrong. My sweet friends are NOT trying to scare me out of putting my children into public school. However, I have been thinking a lot about this education issue recently and I am scared as to why. Chad and I have always wanted to use private schooling, but the cost scares me. What scares me more is that I have let the tiny thought of homeschooling enter my realm of thinking. WHAT? My parents have always said this "We couldn't afford private school, but then again, we couldn't afford to not have you there either." Thus, we were in private school. Speaking of scared, the thought that my children's entire educational career is my responsibility makes me nauseous. I'm quite sure I can't even do 4th grade math.
Eager: To learn more about my options that is...
Perplexed: Okay, so, I'm convinced. Homeschooling is a great option for those who feel CALLED to do it. It's a great alternative and the kids turn out great, academically, that is. BUT, what about me? I was in the school system (granted, it was private school), and I'm okay. Old cliche, right? But it's true...I turned out okay. My husband, also in the private school system growing up, is more than okay, happens to be very smart and actually LOVES learning. He reads text books for fun, and I'm not kidding. One could argue that it was the private school part that made a difference for us, but really, I have plenty of smart, well educated, well rounded friends who survived public school, and I would even feel obligated to tell you I don't think they hate learning, or anything like that. So, is the system really as bad as some say? I believe this is a matter, like many, that reverts back to the "home." What happens at home, whether in home schooling, or after a full day in public or private school that makes the difference. What you say and how you teach your kids at HOME determines, more than anything, where God directs their paths.
So, that's it. I've MUCH more thinking/researching/praying on this matter for myself, so please don't run and tell your neighbors that the Rowlands are planning on homeschooling. HA! Only time will tell.
Let me know your thoughts.
6 comments:
Just our opinion and our plan for our child(ren) - public school. I need the time away (I don't think I'd be a very good school teacher anyway), we can't afford private school, both of us went to public school and turned out fine, I agree with education continuing after kids get home. There is more to learning then just what comes in a textbook. Interactions with other kids w/o me always being there to watch a child's every move is so huge. Kids need to learn to learn in all sorts of environments and interact w/ all sorts of people. As you can tell, I'm quite opinionated on this subject, but it is just how we feel about our child(ren)'s education and what works best for us! I'm very interested to see what others say in reply to this post!
Well, since we already talked I'll just say that I'm glad you're thinking about your options. I think everyone should realize they have options!
Public school is very different than when I was growing up. So much more red tape and a lot less creativity in teaching in the classroom. Yes, there are still some great, Christian teachers in public schools. And children can still learn a lot there.
Private school is not an option for us either, so we're just praying about what we will do.
To follow up, here are some blogs to take a peek at. There are some good resources on those blogs, too.
http://mthopeacademy.blogspot.com/
http://handmadehomeschool.wordpress.com/
http://lifeongrace.blogspot.com/
http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/
I am not a teacher. I think homeschool is great when you are called to homeschool. As of today I do not feel that I am. I too went to public school but private wasn't an option since the closest one was 45 minutes away! Like M said, public schools are different now. But at the same time aren't we called to be a light to a dark world--in the world and not of the world. So, like C said we are to teach our children Truth at home so they can stand of the Word while out in the world.
But, like you, I have not made up my mind. E is in private kindergarten. We will stay there for the next 3 years. So we pray over that time and see where the Lord leads. It's good to know we have options and pray that God will show us without a doubt where each of our children are to be educated.
if we lived in greenville, our kids would be in public schools.
but hey, we live in a city where teenage violent crime has consistently ranked the highest for any US city for over a decade. we've made up our mind for early education:
http://www.sbectrojans.com/
not sure what the future holds in highschool.
love ya
JLC
Well, you know I tend to be rather opinionated and here are some of my thoughts...I don't necessarily have anything against homeschooling and I know people who feel like teaching their kids was one of the most rewarding things they ever did. I also know several "today's homeschooled kids" and I'm sorry, but they are still socially behind. I feel like today's Christian parents are trying to protect their kids so much and make sure that their kids get the best of everything that they forget that we are called to be missional...which is pretty hard to do if the only place they ever go is church and hang out with their Christian friends and stay in their Christian homes. My brother and I were both in public school and Brad is one of the smartest guys I know and neither of us turned out to be worse sinners than the kids at private schools. In fact, come high school, the kids that attended private school until then were no better Christians or better witnesses than those that were in public school the whole time. With all that said...I am all for public school and would make that my first choice but Dakota will possibly go to private school because there are literally NO good public schools where we will be living in MS. In the end...I'm not going to condemn somebody for the choices they make, every family needs to decide what is best for them and that goes the same with working mothers vs. stay at home mothers, etc as long as we remember that are purpose in life is to know Christ and MAKE HIM KNOWN.
My husband and I have had this conversation several times and even though we have awhile before we need to make the final decision, we would like to enroll our son in private school for K-8 and then let him make the decision whether or not he would like to attend public school for 9-12. However, Greenville is equipped with many good public schools unlike other parts of SC, so I would feel comfortable letting my son grow up in the public school system if we happen to go that direction instead. I think a love for learning starts with the child and is further developed at school and at home. Homeschooling is not an option for us and even though I feel capable of teaching my child, so much in regards to character and social behavior is learned at school and I also feel that parent and child need some seperation to encourage independence. To be honest, I think homeschooling is a bit creepy, just look at the Duggar family! :) Those kids are nice and well behaved but where's the originality?
Post a Comment