3.24.2010

You're a mess!

You're a Mess! You're a Mess!
You're a BIG, ol', Messy Mess!
From the North to the South to the East to the West,
Oliver West...You're a REALLY Big Mess!

Okay, okay, I stole all of this from my SIL's blog here, but it was so applicable to us that I couldn't help myself. Thanks, TTC.

Today started out as a pretty normal day. After everyone got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, and Oliver dumped all the salt out of the salt shaker, we were out the door and headed towards church for Mom to Mom, my weekly Wednesday morning Bible study. It's a haven for me, by the way.

Then, we headed home. It takes me several trips to unload everything, plus the kids and get everyone up the basement stairs to the kitchen. During one of these trips, Oliver stayed inside and I continued on out to bring Stetson in. While in the garage man-handling the already super heavy carseat (he's only 3.5 months!), Oliver shuts the door and locks the dead bolt. At this point, it's critical for you to know that this was my LAST trip down; therefore, my purse, which contains my keys and cell phone, is already on the kitchen table. I'm locked out. No problem, we have a spare key hidden. I go to get it, except it's not there. No problem, I'll knock on my neighbor's door to see if he/she has a good idea since I'm not thinking very clearly at this point. No answer. Maybe I'll check on that spare key one more time. Confirmed: it's missing. Okay, surely I can talk my 22 month old through unlocking the dead bolt, since he's the one that got us into this sticky mess in the first place. He gives me a look similar to this:



There was only one option left. Break in. I prayed for God to entice Oliver up the stairs so I could proceed to knock the glass out of the door and unlock the dead bolt. God honored that prayer, and I took a hammer to the glass leaving this:



I give you permission to laugh, but know, that this did not all go down without some shed tears from this momma. And, you can imagine why since when I finally got in, I rushed up the stairs to find my toddler in the kitchen drawers playing with a pair of scissors. Oliver, you never cease to amaze me. You're a mess, you're a mess, a big ol' messy mess!!!

What next?? I ate some chocolate, like any woman would do. And here's what I found:



It says, "Keep looking forward-new adventures lie ahead." And, at that, I put Oliver to bed and had another piece of chocolate.

10 comments:

w and js mommy said...

I did giggle a little...but not too much. BLESS!!!! What about the door.....good thing you have a handy man for a hubster. Love you

I locked my keys in the car last week and just stood there staring with hopes that it would magically open! HA

Double Dees in SC said...

Oh, that is TOO much! And the picture of Oliver with that look that you envisioned he was giving? Priceless. Love this post! Sorry you had to endure it for me to enjoy it. :)

Outnumbered! said...

OMG! Sorry you had to go through all that. I always have that fear that RC is going to lock us out before I can get #2 in the house.

Thank goodness for chocolate!

Jessica said...

Wow...that's all I can say...wow!

Anonymous said...

wow - reading this just made my day :) after i got off the floor from laughing so hard

jlc

TCW said...

I laughed out loud and kinda wanted to cry for you too. OK locked me out of the car several months ago. In the process of locking the doors, she closed the garage. We only had to wait about 15 min for Chad to come home. Oh, what a spanking that came after thad. It happens to all of us.

Chocolate does make it all better. Sorry you had such a crazy day.

Trish said...

ok...you win. my kid just got a little peas and cereal on his face. my heart hurts for you that you had to go through such a traumatic experience...praise the Lord everyone was safe. what did chad say???

Maria said...

Oh my goodness! Cute little Oliver! What a day! Doesn't chocolate always make it seem better, though?

Anonymous said...

This is Chad......to add to the story. The reason the spare key was not there was because we just changed the locks on the doors. The spare key that I intended to hide was on the work bench right by the door.

The 4 Pierces said...

Oh my goodness! Not that I am at all happy that you had to go through that ordeal, but it does make me feel so much better that my 2 year old boys are not the only ones who do crazy things like that! I am so glad you shared that story and glad I can keep up through your blog!