Almost a year ago, God began working in mine and Chad's hearts separately. We knew we were being called to something bigger, something different than ever before. It's hard to pinpoint when our first conversation took place, but, eventually we came together and first uttered the word adoption to each other. God prepared us separately and when we realized we both felt the calling, we were amazed. Then began a long few months of questioning, praying, and trying to discern the will of God. Why us? We quickly learned under the Spirit's conviction that this was not only a calling, but a command.
James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
After much prayer and through baby steps of faith, we took one big leap of obedience and committed ourselves to a journey of a lifetime. Yes, we still had a million questions and even more concerns, but we were determined to maintain our faith.
Matthew 21:21 "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, Go throw yourself into the sea, and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
One of our biggest questions, was, naturally, where will this money come from? Domestic adoption costs range from 18-25,000 dollars. We began to pray, and plan. I hope you're still reading because this is where it gets good. I am so overwhelmed tonight with God's goodness, and faithfulness that I'm not sure I can continue to type in a storyline format. I will have to lay it out for you using bullets.
-For almost 18 months Chad was placed on a project in Oconee county, a job he hated. He commuted every day, leaving before 6am and not returning until 7pm. It was a very difficult time for us, a time that had us asking "why?" Because of the specifics of that job and the crazy amount of overtime, our tax return was much larger than normal this year. A great start to our fund. I can almost audibly hear God answering our 18 months worth of "whys?" God's provision at best.
-Several weeks after beginning to pray for side jobs, a co-worker contacted Chad about possibly building a kitchen island for him. The job landed in his lap, without even having to seek it out. Chad is in the midst of building it now, and will make almost $900 on this job. There are several other promising side jobs in his future as well. God's provision at best.
-Chad came home TODAY, with the news of a substantial raise and promotion at work. An extra $300/month fresh from heaven, and every cent will go straight to our cause. God's provision at best.
-During one of the snow days, we were out walking with the boys when we met some neighbors only five houses down. They have four adopted children. They immediately offered any help we may need in answering questions and contacting the right people. God's provision at best.
-This past weekend, while enjoying an afternoon outside with my family, I, yet again, met a new neighbor. Our yards literally back up to each other. Her 2 year old son is adopted, and they are in the beginning stages of starting the process again. That's not one, but now two families within yards of our house that have trod this road before us. Both families are professing Christians, and both have been adamant in regards to helping answer any questions we have. In the past year, I have sometimes questioned why God put us in this house. We left a house we loved in a neighborhood we loved for more space (ie: more cleaning), and more house for our money. All that questioning seems so foolish now because one day that support system will no longer be for only us, but for our precious child who will be playing with other neighborhood kids, "just like her." God's provision at best.
-The same day, after meeting that new neighbor, Chad and I attended our first meeting at church for the brand new "orphan ministry" that has been started. It's made of people like us, who want to foster or adopt, and are interested in learning more and making an impact for Christ through the lives of orphaned children. Do you think the timing of this new ministry is coincidental to the timing of our own adoption? NO. God's provision at best.
II Timothy 3:17 "All scripture is God breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
Just as He promised, we are being equipped for what HE has called us to do. Why, as Christians, do we ever doubt that promise? Instead we should be wallowing in the peace that it brings.
I hope you think this story is as amazing as we do. Every day God brings us to our knees in humility of the way he has/is providing for our family financially and emotionally in this journey. Having faith is hard sometimes, but it's addicting. The more you believe God will do, the more He will do. We are seeing that first hand. Glory be to God. Isn't He awesome?
Will you commit to praying for us during our journey? You'll be hearing a lot more about it on here, and I will keep you updated as we complete the steps necessary to bring baby Rowland home. Thanks for
15 comments:
WOW is pretty much all I can utter right now. I knew you all had been considering that route but I am amazed at all that God is giving you and Chad. That is truly a miracle from Him -- no other explanation! So excited for your family and to meet 'her!' :)
XOXO
p.s. the song fits this situation perfectly :) I LOVE IT!
Why are we surprised??? The Lord is blessing your obdedience to his 'command'! When you open your eyes every morning, you will see His plan for you clearly! I praise God that you are willing to do as He has asked of you! I am praying for you, Love Marsha
We are proud of you and are committed to praying for you and supporting you guys in any way possible. We can't wait to meet her and to walk this road with you. We love you and your family.
Sharing with others your obedience and God's blessing make the world a brighter place! So Proud of you!
I personally can't wait to load you up with little girl clothes and learn how to fix her hair! Exciting times for sure.
I'm praying for her mom and that God would lead the perfect fit together. Counting down the days till she is here.
AWESOME! Its so amazing to see God's hand in the life of praying believers. Praying for you and your sweet family. God is GOOD!
Praise the Lord! He has received the GLORY!
I just found your blog recently and am so encouraged by your latest blog post. Know that I am praying for this step and that God will be glorified through it all! :)
God is so good! It is encouraging to see you walk this road ahead of us! We pray God will open the doors for us the way He has for you and Chad. Maybe B
needs to start learning how to wood-work so we can make some extra $$. :) Does Chad need an apprentice?
I will committ to praying for you
He is so faithful! He is worthy to be praised and honored! I can't wait to love on this special little girl!
Lauren! I have found your blog and am reading it. I enjoy it! Your boys are so cute. And I love this recent blog, way to go! And that is awesome how God works! I am reading "Life INterrupted" by Priscilla Shirer---reminds me so much of your story and Chad working in Oconee, etc! You should consider reading it. I will be praying for yall! And look forward to reading more!
Oh yea, incase you didn't know who the REynolds are--this is Blaire (used to be Riddle)
This is awesome! I will certainly be praying! Great seeing you today!
awesome!!!!
This is a fantastic story of God's provision and it's just getting started!! So thankful I had a spare minute to get to read it :) Can't wait to hear how God continues to work to bring a special addition to your sweet family.
Post a Comment