Oliver finally has a really cool room, at least I think. When we moved in, it was pretty sad the state his room was in. All of the "nursery" stuff went to Stetson's nursery once he came along which left Oliver's (big) bedroom with a crib and small dresser, and nothing else. He survived, but it pained ME every time I walked in. Of course, we're on a budget, so most everything in this room was given to me (so thankful!) or done on a dime.
The theme is ocean/boats/surfing. We love the beach in this family, and big O is no exception. He LOVES going to Papa and Gigi's beach house. I could see him rocking the surfer boy motif one day! I have always wanted a vintage surf board to use some way in our house, so when my sweet mom found a very reasonable website and offered to buy us one, I was all for it! The website updates their boards every week and we looked for months before choosing ours, which I love. After discussing several options, we decided to hang it with rope above his bed.
The most I spent for this room was the bedding from Pottery Barn, madras plaid, a classic boy favorite.
For a long time, Oliver had one box of toys in his room, but I've always wanted some sort of storage system so he can have a place of his own in his room. The boys are usually in the playroom, but now he has the option for having some quiet play time in his own room, which makes us both happy! I've always liked these ladder shelves from Pottery Barn, so Chad whipped one up for me out of some old wood we scored for free from an old carriage house in downtown Greer. Everything looks gorgeous made out of reclaimed wood, and I'll be so sad when ours runs out. This is one of my favorite parts of the room.
These red picture frames were an IKEA find, at 0.99 cents a piece. A coat of red spray paint makes them pop.
I'm sure this little beauty has been debuted on the ol' blog before, but here's another look at my great grandmother's dresser that we painted stripes on. I'll mention here that this piece was the inspiration for the paint job in O's room. We used the same colors for the walls, the khacki for the base and blue for the two stripes. It was our first time painting stripes, and actually pretty fun and fairly easy.
An antique mirror that we scored off the side of the road in someone's trash pile.
Some attention to detail:
The boating/sailboat prints were taken by my parents around various parts of the world. Gotta love free artwork! I already had these frames, to boot.
I couldn't pass up this antique lantern at a Waynesville antique shop during a recent visit. $7! And, I love the red.
We got this surveyor's lamp when we got married, but the shade was ugly, so I bought a new one at Target. We didn't have any side tables, so these from IKEA do the trick. At $7 a pop, and in the exact blue I needed, I couldn't say no!
Pottery Barn bedding (on sale!): $160
Antique bed from Chad's grandmother: FREE
IKEA side tables: $14
IKEA picture frames: $6
Surfboard: FREE
Rocking horse: FREE
Artwork: FREE
Antique mirror and dresser: FREE
Old wood for book shelf: FREE
Lantern: $7
New lamp shade: $20
Total: $207! That's pretty darn good, right, honey? Now, can I start on the next room?!? ;)
1 comment:
The answer to your question is no. Chad's coming to our house next but he doesn't need to do all the work....I just need him to show Dallas a few of his tricks and then I'll send him back....
LOVE the room! We're getting ready to re-do Dayne's room to a big boy room and I plan to take my time and do it on a budget, too.....IDK about two years, though :)
Post a Comment